Posted by: annmucc | November 25, 2008

Computers-Enemies-Computers-Enemies-Computers-Friends?

Today was certainly not my day with computers…

I got to university and open a document I was working with…the references were all in code rather than as expected! I have been using EndNote for referencing, which had been working just fine, but today is started giving me a lot of extra stuff besides what is required for a reference. Hmm…I uninstalled-not working-reinstalled-not working-restarted-not working-uninstalled, restarted, installed – not working! GRRR

Then! I got an even bigger problem – I figured out what was wrong with EndNote, but now WORD was not working! Don’t know what I did, but – AHA! At last it is working. I think? Let me try again…but…’Hello Ann’ I hear. It’s my supervisor…he had phoned half an hour before to see if I wanted to go with him to download some data from environmental monitors – sure I had said, since I am interested in pretty much anything which goes on, but now that he was here I was a bit flustered with fighting with the pc.

Anyways, I will have to confirm if everything is really working right later. In the meantime, we walked to the laboratories (efficiently located on the opposite side of the UCL campus!) to get the data from the data loggers.

Hmm…not working! The computer cannot recognise the apparatus! GRRR! We went through the manuals a couple of times, trying to find what was wrong. After more than 1 hour of trying – ALAS! The download button is now selectable! So down goes the data – what should have been around 15mins of work turned out into more than 1.5hrs of work! I also got an invite to go with my supervisor to the Wren Library for next week, for some environmental monitoring, but boohoo, I will be in Malta for graduation :(. Oh well! Hope to get invited another time O: ).

Advertisements

Responses

  1. […] Mark Boslet wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerpt Today was certainly not my day with computers… I got to university and open a document I was working with…the references were all in code rather than as expected! I have been using EndNote for referencing, which had been working just fine, but today is started giving me a lot of extra stuff besides what is required for a reference. Hmm…I uninstalled-not working-reinstalled-not working-restarted-not working-uninstalled, restarted, installed – not working! GRRR Then! I got an even bigger problem – I figured out what was wrong with EndNote, but now WORD was not working! Don’t know what I did, but – AHA! At last it is working. I think? Let me try again…but…’Hello Ann’ I hear. It’s my supervisor…he had phoned half an hour before to see if I wanted to go with him to download some data from environmental monitors – sure I had said, since I am interested in pretty much […] […]

  2. […] unknown wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptThe computer cannot recognise the apparatus! GRRR! We went through the manuals a couple of times, trying to find what was wrong. After more than 1 hour of trying – ALAS! The download button is now selectable! … […]

  3. mikkina 😦

  4. @ Mina: thanks for the pity 😐 – no one so far has had any 😐


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: